Saturday, September 10, 2011

Why I'm Turning off Live Television This Weekend

I will not be watching television this weekend, at least not live. My DVR's been working overtime to record a bunch of movies. I've never seen Boardwalk Empire, and the new season starts next week, so I think I'll catch up via On Demand. I also have a book to make a heavy dent in. Now, I rarely watch live television anymore to begin with, but I am especially avoiding it this weekend because of 9/11. More accurately, I have been avoiding 9/11 coverage, and I hope to continue to do so.

I lived and worked in NYC for 10 years. So, yes, I was there on the morning of September 11, 2001. My commute took me past Chambers St., mere blocks from the WTC site. In fact, it was at the Chamber St. stop that a man on the platform stuck his head into our train car and alerted us that "a plane just flew into the World Trade Center." I got to work soon after the second plane, and I watched the towers fall. I didn't feel safe crossing the Brooklyn Bridge on foot, so I walked from Chelsea to the Upper East Side. Manhattan was devoid of vehicular traffic, with black helicopters flying overhead. Pretty much everyone was northbound, and we noted that every bar along the way was full, but without the usual vivacity. When the trains were deemed "safe," I rode home in a silence unlike the usual subway car, "I'm just sitting here minding my own business" silence, rather one of suspicion, fear and shell-shock.

I don't need to "Remember 9/11;" I already do. Constantly. While I appreciate that you'll "Never Forget," sometimes, that's really all I want to do.

The coverage this weekend is not for those for whom 9/11 had a direct impact, in the same way that coverage of a natural disaster or murder trial isn't for the people who've lived through it. And I know that my experience is really the best-case scenario for someone who was in NYC or DC that day. Still, I would rather avoid the images and "close call" stories. I have plenty locked away.

I'll admit that I'd been anticipating this anniversary for some time. And, were I in NYC, I would probably be with friends, being thankful for coming through a tragedy, remembering those who didn't and thoughtfully reflecting on how to take further positive steps forward as a society and as part of the larger global community.

But I'm not in NYC, and that's sort of the central issue, here. I'm not in NYC, and I feel as though I need to be. Because, right now, right here, all of the media coverage feels like only that: coverage. And I'm not saying that the whole country didn't feel terrified or uprooted or that everyone else didn't mourn, as well. I'm not saying that commemoration isn't the right thing to do. I'm saying that none of it helps me, especially being so far away from my adopted home.

So I'll be watching The Princess Bride and reading A Game of Thrones.

No comments: