Friday, September 19, 2008

The Emmys

Huh. Surprisingly, I have nothing to say about the upcoming Emmys -- or, rather, the nominees. Of course, I'll be watching; I love awards shows. Always and forever. But I've decided to stop hoping for anything other than the same ol' stuff. There are never any surprise wins, all the speeches are pretty run of the mill, and even the red carpet just seems like a been-there-done-that obligation for most of the nominees.

The fact is that no one's fooling themselves anymore. The Emmys aren't about rewarding excellence or innovation in the television arts. It's about the Academy telling themselves that they are. And that just goes against everything I love about the entertainment industry.

I'm not naive. I know the old chestnut: "It's show business." But it's a creative business. Most other industries strive for and reward innovation and change. Indeed, the science half of the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences seems to be doing pretty well in this vein. Why is it that the arts side is not only content to churn out more of the same, but actually heaps praise on those who stay on the hamster wheel?

And that's just what the Emmy has become. A big nut cluster treat for the most dogged hamsters.

So I'll watch, as I always do, I'll simulpost to the extent that the shifty wireless coverage in my neighborhood allows, and I'll resign myself to yet another win by Tony Shaloub.

No comments: